Wednesday 5 October 2011

Starfire & Friend


So I was very fond of the Marv Wolfman/ George Perez 'New Teen Titans'. The characters are great, as proven by how well they translated into a TV cartoon version. Starfire ( Princess Koriand'r of the planet Tamaran ) was obviously designed to be an an adolescent boy's fever dream. Gorgeous, with a spectacularly slutty costume , while at the same time non-judgemental ( unlike those real girls at school! ) , charmingly naive ( she's not from around here ) and devastatingly deadly! The perfect woman ( if you're a 12 year old boy! ) The combination of those attributes somehow kept it from feeling sleazy, but it was a fine balance. The problem arises ( fnarr!) when you try and turn her into the perfect woman for a 40 year old boy....

BTW I haven't read Red Hood & the Outlaws ( which has been so controversial of late ) so I've got nothing to say about what I think Scott Lobdell's intentions were with writing it.  I think it's a bit unfair to turn him into a human piƱata over this issue when he's only got one issue out however. The art on the other hand ( by Kenneth Roccaforte ) is utterly lascivious. Though I like the Tiki panel borders.

2 comments:

  1. They really should just give you the job. I mean, really, as in NOW. You were made for this.

    ReplyDelete