Sunday 19 September 2010

Saturday free for all - racing ostrich

So I thought instead of the regular "hey this isn't competitive but here's a wonder woman sketch I spent four hours on" post I'd show you how I REALLY warm up - I rip off artists better than me:



These are from Preston Blair's Cartoon Animation - a book that Ren and Stimpy creator John K. says it's worth copying EVERY drawing from. I've probably done close to 100 of the literally thousands of perfect drawings in this book. All the touchy feel-gooders out there always say stupid shit like "you should find your own voice!" and there's genuine wisdom in that, but beginning artists (Hamilton, I'm looking in your direction) can really learn a lot from copying the masters.


And here's John, the main character from my kid's book, riding a racing ostrich

7 comments:

  1. John and the Ostrich look strangely like a dog's head and a tiger on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only compete with myself...and it was only 3 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I DID copy the masters!
    Then...I killed them.

    Figuratively speaking that is.



    Except for that one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what's up with the HTML but the ostrich should be up there now

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yet it's not. I don't think the gummint wants people to see your ostrich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YARGH! I've uploaded this damn thing twice now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Nat! That upper left hand doggie reminds me of a dog from an animation book I had when I was like five. Is that where you go that reference?

    ReplyDelete