Monday 4 April 2011

38th Anniversary of the First Cell Phone Call!

So, it turns out that the first ever cellphone call was made 38 years ago today.  Who knew the cellphone was so old? It's older than me!

I think the first time, in my own limited worldview, that I really became aware of the soon-to-be-ubiquitous cell phone was about 1995, give or take a year. So, as I am often prone to do, I tried to imagine what 1995 George, if while on one of his patented Angry Walks® through 1995 NYC, would think if he accidentally walked through a space-time wormhole to the NYC of 2011 and saw all the peoples on their bluetooth headsets.


Used to be, you could spot the crazies in NYC a mile off, as they'd be the ones merrily yammering to themselves. Now, we all are. Yay cell phones!

7 comments:

  1. Now the crazies are the ones talking on those...those...pubic phone things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those public what things? You mean those things that stink like pee and always have gum stuck to them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you're starting to sound like me. Maybe they're the phones used for the purposes of what I put in my drawing. That would be a good name for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how you draw yourself as a small, fat, balding man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that was in 1995! Imagine the horror now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The #1 thing I overhear is how people hate someone at work. It IS interesting how people in public think they are in their own bubble while on the phone.

    I like how George looks at everyone with disdain.

    ReplyDelete