Tuesday 12 April 2011

The First Man in Space

Today we honor Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space.

After seeing Tim's post, I was surprised to learn that Gagarin died in 1968. Some reading revealed that he was killed in a jet crash, caused by negligence of the ground crew. He was only 34 years old.



I wish the Soviet Union had treated its space heroes better. Hopefully, he and Laika are off frolicking somewhere, wherever it is cosmonauts go when they die.

Follow george_oconnor_ on Twitter

10 comments:

  1. Ooooh, Abadzis is gonna kick your ass!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's definitely veering into Abadzian territory. Laika's been on my mind since his "Happy Landings" post (which I linked to).

    Lousy commies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good drawing…for Laika to poop on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...wherever it is cosmonauts go when they die."

    A bar, presumably.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, we are a heartless bunch, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heartless?! No I!

    So you didn't think you'd be able to capture the likeness eh, George?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I have two failed attempts in my sketchbook before I came up with this better idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You KNEW you couldn't capture the likeness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this drawing. It would make a good t-shirt

    ReplyDelete
  10. When we finally get off our duffs and start offering Drawbridge t-shirts, I'll have this be one. Also, it will be included in the Drawbridge sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete